domingo, enero 29, 2012

Passion


I am not a writer.  Nor a photographer.  Though I appreciate both good writing and good photography.  Sometimes inspiration simply does not come, and yet, the deadline approaches. 

This week I left the country that has been my home for six years.  Bittersweet.  My mind is, perhaps, more focused on my tropical past than my frigid present. 

I am not currently teaching classes.  I taught 3rd-4th grades in a private school in Lansing, Michigan for 4 years.  After that, we moved to Bolivia and I taught math and music to secondary students in a jungle boarding school for six years.  I moved from the jungle to Santa Cruz in October.   I was on the verge of signing a contract to teach at an English school when a series of events…compelling experiences, if you will…threw me on a fast track back to the United States.  

So, here I sit thinking about the relationship between photography and teaching.  While reading “How to Make Great Photographs” on www.kenrockwell.com, I particularly resonated with the idea of passion in a photograph.  “Photography is the art of communicating passion. You need to be passionate about whatever it is that you photograph. If you are passionate you'll get great results, if you don't care, you won't.”  Is it not the same with teaching?  We, as educators, must all admit that there have been days when we have been less than passionate about what we were teaching.  I remember being in my Elementary Math Methods class during my undergraduate experience.  I was in the class with about 15 or 20 other elementary education majors.  The professor asked us how many of us liked math.  I was the only one in my class that raised her hand.  The only one.  Many scowled and groaned indicating that the only reason they would even teach math in their elementary school classrooms was because it was a requirement.  I would imagine that this is not uncommon among the elementary education majors even today.  If our elementary teachers have no passion for math, how will they communicate a love of math to their students.  And with no passion, no great results can be expected,  just like in photography.

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario